Thursday 30 August 2018

My Trip to Cambodia : Siem Reap and Phnom Penh

Period : 28th April - 5th May 2018

★ Flight : Air Asia
KIX - KUL 11:00 - 16:35 (I slept at my parent's house then went back to the airport the next morning)
KUL - REP 06:45 - 07:50
PNH - KUL 08:20 - 11:10
KUL - KIX 14:00 - 21:25

★ Accommodation : Sign up to booking.com with this link and get JPY1,800 as a reward!

Siem Reap → Nita By Vo Urban Resort
Review : I booked this resort on booking.com 5 months before our trip while I was daydreaming and thank God I did because a few months after that management changed and the prices almost tripled (but still what I'd consider reasonable for the level of comfort and service they provide)! They kept their T&C which stated I would pay the price agreed upon when I actually booked so that was great. We stayed in the Cabana Garden Suite. The room was huge and came with your own little garden. We had a chance to try out their room service menu because I was too lazy to go out and everything was delicious. This resort is pretty secluded and a bit far from the main city area but they have a free tuk tuk service on site.

Phnom Penh → Vacation Boutique Hotel
Review : We stayed in the "Deluxe Double Balcony" because I wanted a room with windows. The room was spacious and I loved the bathroom decor and tiles. For breakfast they have you tick what you want on a form with all kinds of drinks and foods written on it and prepare it fresh so allocate at least 30 minutes for breakfast. The location was good, close to a market and some restaurants. The staff were friendly and always had a smile. 

★ Schedule
Below is the schedule I set up. We managed to see and do almost everything you see there.







I booked a tuk tuk driver + tour guide for the whole duration we were in Cambodia. I highly recommend you do this if you are not great at haggling and want a more wholesome experience. Only licensed tour guides (they have a uniform and card) are allowed on Angkor Wat grounds and the surrounding temples.

Having someone explain to you the significance of the carvings, designs, stories of the temples and area is so much better than just trudging along with no back story whatsoever.  You will appreciate the whole trip a lot more.

Our tour guide while we were in Siem Reap used to be a monk and had also studied so much about other major religions in his youth so the way he explained everything and the depth of knowledge he possessed was just amazing!

Siem Reap driver + tour guide :
Angkor Tuk Tuk Travel
http://www.angkortuktuktravel.com/
I booked the 3 day package with a tour guide(+USD45/day) for 2 days

Phnom Penh :
Sophoarn (he doubles as a tour guide)
Sophoarn Tuk Tuk Phnom Penh Facebook

Both of them replied to my emails within 1-2 days and were very accommodating towards any changes of timing/places.

★ Extras
1. Use USD everywhere. It's used more commonly than the local currency.
2. Leave tips for drivers/ housekeepers/ waiters/ bell boys etc. Just USD1-5 (depending on where you're staying). Everyone we met was super nice and I know that wages are low so I want to help any way I can.
。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
Transferring money to different countries? Use Transferwise ! Great rates, low fees, fast service. Get JPY500 off your first transaction through my link.

No comments:

Post a Comment