Saturday 13 October 2012

Yamaguchi

On the 9th of June I had an entrance examination at Yamaguchi University. Yamaguchi is really far away from where I live now. Like I had to get on a plane type of far. Japan is basically made up of four parts; Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu. Well, Yamaguchi is on the very bottom edge of Honshu. 

Yamaguchi University was my second choice. My first choice was Gifu University (which I've gotten into, FYI). I tried out for Gifu University by recommendation so I didn't have to sit for any papers. For Yamaguchi University however, I had to sit for their Maths paper. I only studied for like two days which explains why I could barely answer the questions. I so suck. 

I booked a ticket a month before my departure so I was entitled to ANA's Early Bird Discounts. I think my tickets were half price. Woo! Still had to fork out almost ¥15,000 for a return ticket for Tokyo's Haneda to Yamaguchi Airport though. I was just glad that the Yamaguchi Aiport was so close to the university. If I had decided to travel there by train, it would have taken me around 8 hours-ish. So not gonna happen.

A bunch of my friends were also trying out for this university, so for me, it was like a mini holiday too. 

My journey; from Haneda to Yamaguchi

The MAGIC button
I got a window seat which was awesome, but I was at the wing part, not so awesome. Anyways, there was this button below the window. At first I wasn't sure what it was for but then the sun started to bug me so I wanted to pull down the window cover thing but there wasn't one! I came to the conclusion that this button was responsible for getting the sun's rays out of my eyeballs.

The top white half will let more light through while the darker lower half will dim the lights. How cool is that? I have no idea how this works. Is there some sort of chemical in the glass or something? I want to know!

The change in the strength of the light is gradual. It's not like it'll instantly darken but it will slowly fade(?) into the desired strength.
I got the wing seat. Urghh...

The window without any adjustment

The window after I've darken it to the highest level

From left to right : Shah, Me, Ahmad, Acap, Kimie and Azul

Men in suits are just so...

At the Yamaguchi Airport

Weird egg art thing at the airport grounds

This is the furthest I've ever been in Honshu. I'm thinking of travelling to Kyushuu next year. Fukuoka; land of no tax!

..

No comments:

Post a Comment