Sunday 16 September 2012

Sleeping in Tokyo on a Budget

I live and study quite close to Tokyo so I do travel there pretty often. I'm currently a student so I'm not exactly swimming in cash. In this post I'll share my experiences in a few hotels/hostels in Tokyo and I'll recommend some.

Keep in mind that Japanese websites are mostly in Japanese. Try using the Google translate option when you right-click or get someone who can read Japanese to help you out.

1. Iriya Station Hotel
This is the link to their page on Jalan.net -> click
When I stay here, I take their Student Plan(学生限定) which is ¥2980 a night. This is probably the cheapest hotel room I've ever stayed in Tokyo. The room is typical Japanese small but still comfy. You get your own toilet and shower in the room. It doesn't come with breakfast. Check out is at 10:00am. Keep in mind that if you get out later than 10:00am, the elevators might not be functioning. They probably do this because Japan is really particular about electricity usage during Summer. This happened to me. I had to carry my 30kg bag from the 7th floor. I died several times on those stairs.

2. Khaosan Tokyo Guest House(s)
I've stayed in the Khaosan Tokyo Original and Khaosan Tokyo Samurai. Both places were clean, beds were comfy and close to train stations. The staff are friendly, helpful and can speak English. Prices range from ¥2000 per person/per night to ¥4000 per person/per night depending on which one you choose and what type of room you want. Not all of them have female-only dorms. Some are shared. A few have private rooms for 2 to 4 people. Basically, highly recommended.

3. Sakura Hostel Asakusa
Mixed and female dorms are available. Clean, comfy with English speaking staffs. Prices start from ¥2940. Only a 5 minute walk to the closest train station. They also have branches in Ikebukuro, Hatagaya and Jimbocho. Click here -> other branches

4.  Hotel New Tochigiya
I've personally never stayed here. It's 6 minutes walk to the nearest station. A Japanese tatami room for 1 with no toilet and shower in the room is ¥2800 per night. There's also capsule rooms but it's for men only.

For those of you that want to try to spend a night in Japan's famous capsule hotels, they're not that hard to find. Most capsule hotels cater only to men. I've found a few that either cater to women only or have a women only floors.

1. Capsule Hotel & Sauna Ikebukuro
They cater to both men and women. Women get their own floors. Lockers, shower rooms, toiletries are all provided. ¥2800 per person/per night. 6 minutes walk from Ikebukuro Station.

2. Hotel Siesta Ebisu
They have male and female capsules. Women get their own floor. ¥3300 per person/per night. 30 seconds walk from Ebisu Station.

3. Capsule Hotel 510 Shinjuku
Women only capsule hotel. 3 minutes walk from Shinjuku Station.

If you have any recommendations or questions, feel free to post in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment